BioGTS Ltd. is creating a modern biogas plant for Punkalaitumen Bioenergiayhtiö Ltd. with an annual processing capacity of approx. 10,000 tons of agricultural biomasses and biodegradable waste from the food industry.
Punkalaitumen Bioenergiayhtiö Ltd. is having a modern biogas plant that is based on the dry digestion technique built along highway 2, in the Kanteenmaa area of Punkalaidun. The pile-driving work of the biogas plant has just begun in the area.
The biogas plant of Punkalaitumen Bioenergiayhtiö Ltd. is a bioproduct factory in which biomethane intended for industrial and transport use is produced by recycling and upgrading biodegradable waste from agriculture and the food industry, as well as high-quality organic fertilizers for organic cultivation, for example. The processing capacity of the plant of Punkalaitumen Bioenergia Ltd. is around 10,000 tons per year. The modern biogas plant that is based on the dry digestion technique is the most cost-effective way to handle biodegradable waste from agriculture and reduce the emissions resulting from manure treatment. Processing in the biogas plant reduces the methane and odor emissions resulting from animal manure by as much as 90%.
The biomethane produced by the Punkalaidun biogas plant will be transported with gas transportation containers for e.g. industrial use and to be utilized as transport fuel.
The investigation work of the biogas plant project has gone on for more than two years at Punkalaidun. Now the project is at the stage that the pile-driving work at the site has begun. The CEO of BioGTS, Mika Rautiainen, sees the Punkalaidun project as a significant opening for other similar biogas plant projects.
“The innovative operating model of Punkalaitumen Bioenergia Ltd. for delivering biomethane to the market will act as an important beacon for many other pending biogas plant projects in Finland. We believe that many biogas plant projects of a comparable type that are outside the gas grid will get going around Finland through this,” Rautiainen says with delight.
- Behind Punkalaitumen Bioenergiayhtiö Ltd., there are around twenty local agricultural entrepreneurs and the municipality of Punkalaidun.
- BioGTS Ltd. is a Finnish manufacturer of patented and factory-built biogas and biodiesel plants, set up in 2011.
- The biogas plant technology based on a new technique, developed and patented by BioGTS Ltd., is based on the so-called dry process and is directly suitable for the processing of dry biomass fractions, without the need for added liquid.
- Plant feedstock: agricultural biomasses and biodegradable waste from the food industry.
- End products of the plant: upgraded biomethane, which is utilized mainly in industrial use and as a transport fuel, as well as organic fertilizers.
- The estimated annual production is approx. 7,700 MWh of biogas, which corresponds to the annual fuel requirement of 600-700 gas cars.
- Construction is under way and the plant is intended to start operation in the first part of 2018.